The history of Pines Health Services follows a singular path: “To provide quality, cost-effective health related services to the residents of Aroostook County, Maine, and surrounding areas.” It all started with a medical office built in Limestone, Maine, by Dr. Philip Pines. A pharmacy was opened at this site in 1981, and the medical office was moved and expanded. Since then the change has been profound. From a single Dr. Pines to more than 40 Pines physicians and other providers, we have grown in staff, services, and locations to meet the health care needs of Aroostook County residents.
Dr. Philip Pines
In 1952, Dr. Philip Pines moved his young family to Limestone, Maine, where he opened a medical practice. He and his wife Susan, a Registered Nurse, operated the practice for over 20 years until his death in 1975. Later, the office was sold and became Pines Health Services in 1981. Susan Pines remained in the area and went on to serve several terms in the Maine State Legislature. Mrs. Pines now lives in Hallowell, Maine.
Philip Pines was born in Poland in 1914. At the age of 19, he went to medical school in Vienna, Austria, later completing his medical degree and becoming a licensed doctor in Switzerland. In 1948, Dr. Pines immigrated to New York. He arrived in New York City onboard the Queen Elizabeth and eventually practiced at a hospital in Hagerstown, Maryland, where he met and married his wife Susan. After getting his citizenship, Dr. Pines joined the Air Force during the Korean War and was stationed in Florida, where he met and befriended an associate whose wife was from Limestone, Maine. After hearing stories of the area, Dr. and Mrs. Pines moved their young family, son Jack and daughter Judy, the entire length of the East Coast to become the new family doctor in Limestone.